Accident happen in life – the best advice we can give you in the event of an accident is to ensure you are well prepared.
Accident Advice Tips
- Stop at the scene if you think the accident has caused injuries, damage to vehicles or property.
- Call 999 (or 112) immediately if anyone is injured or the accident is causing a hazard.
- Make sure all engines are turned off, put hazard lights on and alert any approaching traffic.
- Stay calm and don’t lose your temper.
- Get details from all parties involved including:
- Drivers name, address & licence details.
- Insurance company name, contact details and policy number.
- Vehicle details, including make, model and registration number.
- Carry a camera, or use your mobile. Get photos of the scene, vehicles & injuries
- Complete your own description of events, with pictures and drawings of the scene.
- Notify your insurance company after the collision. You must do this whether or not a claim is to be be made or whose fault it was.
- Report all accidents to your nearest police station. (If you live in London, you can download the relivant forms from the Metropolitan Police Website.)